Sunday, May 13, 2007

Dosa



Take half a cup of Urdu dal
One cup of rice-long grain (or parboiled, I sometimes use jasmine too.)

pinch of fenugreeks. add this in urud or rice.(if you don’t have fenugreeks, no problem)


Soak them for 6 hours at least. you can soak them in morning around 10 am. Grind them at around 4 or 5 pm. Grind them in to a smooth paste by adding enough water. When you grind rice, don’t add too much water in the beginning. Add little by little according to the need. You can grind them in blender, I use Indian mixie.(for idly you don’t need to grind the rice that well).mix them well and keep it covered in a steel /glass.plasic container over night in a warm place. I keep it nearby the stove. In the morning it would be double in size. mix well and add enough water to make a smooth batter. It shouldn’t be to thick. More thinner than pancake batter.
And make dosa like you make pancake. if you want a crisp dosa spread the batter as wider as you can quickly.(reduce the heat when you spread the batter).you can see the sides getting crispy, sprinkle oil/melted butter around the dosa and on top. flip it overly et it get crispy, golden colorJ
Or if you like thick dosa, just pour the batter and don’t spread it too much.
Goes well with sambar, chutney(chammanthy) kadala curry, chicken curry etc etcJ
On summer days I soak the rice and urud at night and grind them in the morning and by night it would be ready.
Wheat dosa is easier
Just mix wheat flout with water. make a thin batter.
heat oil and add mustard seeds and red dry chili(one or two)and curry leaves. Also add freshly grated coconut of you have. you can also add grated ginger and instead of red pepper you can add green chili. and make dosa.

17 comments:

Chef Jeena said...

Hi Meera Thankyou so much for showing me how to make dosa's! It is very nice of you to be so helpful, I have copied and pasted it so I can make some :)

When I make some I will put them on my blog and you can tell me if they look like real dosa's :D

Meera's Blog said...

hehe jeena:)it should,iam not that expert either.a tip,if you are using iron pan to make dosa instead of non stick,then apply enough oil before making dosa. if it sticks on the pan,then cut an onion in to two,and rub the top of the pan with the cut half of that oinion.it should help.non stick is easier but i use iron pan.make sure the pan isnt over heated,reduce the heat in between.:)

Chef Jeena said...

I have a flat griddle pan which I make pancakes in etc. so I guess I would use that, thanks for the tips though :)

I have another question though :) I don't have any urad dhal so I will have to get some next time I am at my local shop. Is urad dhal a bean or a lentil? I don't think I have used it before does it have any othe rnames? thanks :)

Chef Jeena said...

Great Pictures by the way looks delicious!

Meera's Blog said...

its a lentil,i use whole urud,skin removed,not split ones.check this site they have pics of urud:)

http://indianfood.about.com/od/thebasics/ig/Photo-Gallery-of-Indian-Daals/spilturadskinless.htm

Meera's Blog said...

iam off to make that biscuits:)

Chef Jeena said...

Thanks Meera have fun cooking :D

Menu Today said...

Hi Meera,
Your recipe sounds good. Thanks.

S said...

ur blog looks grt....nie recipes....

Meera's Blog said...

thanks for visiting menu and shanti:)

Viji said...

Meera, Thanks for dropping by and you have a nice blog too. Will keep visiting. viji

FH said...

Great looking dosa,thanks Meera:)

Suganya said...

Hay ur dosa is good....easy one ya...i like it

Mrs. K said...

Just wanted to say I enjoyed your blog, especially the pictures on the sidebar. Fresh from the garden..wow! Are those plum tomatoes? And the little face(your son?) is so cute.

Meera's Blog said...

thanks rp, for visiting:)i loved those butterfly pics in your blog.
i think those were plum tomatoes.
the lil face is my son when he was 6 months,now he is 11:)

Gayathri said...

Great entry.. nice explanation

Unknown said...

Meera ,
This is really nice blog I have seen for tiffins. I like Dosa very much.
Datastage