Saturday, April 28, 2007

Kozhukkatta


When I got a fresh coconut (a rare thing nowadays!!)And saw the bottle of jaggery(sarkkara) I knew what I wanted to make for tea yesterday. Something I love kozhukkatta.

Another easy recipe .
Take a cup of rice flour. Make dough by adding warm water mixed with enough salt for your taste. Add a few cumin seeds too. Keep it aside,
Put a steamer on stove. I use the vessel to make idly, and use the flat separator for this.
Take half a cup of freshly grated coconut. Add crushed jaggery(very well crushed), 1/2 cups. If there is any big pieces crush it. Mix this well using your fingers. Add ¼ teaspoon of dried ginger powder.(optional).
That’s all I use to make this easy kozhukkatta.
Make small balls like you make for chappthy. Make a big hole in the middle of this ball and put the coconut/jaggery mix inside that hole and close it .if you are a perfectionist make perfect round balls. I am not, so I just cover them enough so that the mix won’t come out. Finish the dough by repeating the same method.

Apply some oil on top of the plate you are using to steam this rice balls. Put one by one and steam it abut 15-20 min in medium heat.
Ready for tea.

4 comments:

Reena said...

beensy, we call it kozhukatta too but my husband's family has some other name for it and the ones without jaggery is what they call kozhukatta.

yours look exactly how my mom makes. your blog is full of mouthwatering kerala recipes. you should rename it to foods of kerala or something like that.

Meera's Blog said...

hehe:)

Nita said...

thanks to you we(my husband n I) had kozhukkatta after ages n it turned out yummy:)

Meera's Blog said...

good to know that nita:)